Thursday 25 February 2010

culter -tri m. knife

I recently spent two weeks in England and, once again, I endeavoured to factor museums and ruins into my trip. I visited the Great North Museum in Newcastle which boasted an eclectic display of everything from dinosaur fossils to a Newcastle United football shirt (?). It also included unique exhibitions of ancient Roman and Egyptian artefacts.

The Roman section was largely based around Hadrian’s Wall, and focused primarily on the structure of the wall, as well as artefacts buried on site. I was enchanted with this little bone carving of a boy soldier. On closer inspection it turned out to be a beautifully crafted switchblade! I never knew that the Romans had pocket knives, but in my book, this beats a Swiss Army Knife any day.



No comments: